Tuesday, January 29, 2013

The Elijah Project: Who am I?

Last blog I shared that I am working through The Elijah Project in a group setting. The first activity is called: Who am I? We spent some very valuable time drawing pictures of how we felt. I very seldom spend time coloring. I've decided that coloring all by itself is cathartic. Below is a copy of my picture from last weeks group.
My daughter just looked over my shoulder and asked: "Mommy why does your doll picture have x's on the eyes?" Last week when I colored this picture I felt all kinds of different feelings. One of the valuable parts of doing self-care and introspective work is that we get to take a snap shot of what we are feeling at that moment in time. Our feelings very well may change the next moment - but it is a picture of what we are feeling then. Last week when I drew x's over my eyes it was because I genuinely felt that I could not see clearly. I knew that I was mis-perceiving the feelings, needs and even criticism those around me. *I also wrote squiggles out of my mouth. That was because I knew I had lost my governor. I was allowing things to flow out of my mouth with out checking it first. One of my symptoms of exhaustion is speaking before thinking. In fact if I was a better artist I would draw hands at my mouth grabbing my words and putting htem back in my mouth. *I drew red squiggles on my forehead because I had a headache. I still have a headache. Obviously identifying that I'm exhausted has not "fixed" it all yet. *I drew purple bands with an arrow to my shoulders because I hold all my tension in my shoulders and they were... ARE tight. *I drew a yellow outline around my figure because I honestly feel good about my choices over the past few months - even though I am tired, I feel I have lived life well! *I colored my arms and legs because I feel generally all over connected. *Finally I gave myself a proportional heart because my heart is definitely there. I feel it! I encourage you to take some time to draw a picture - a snap shot of how you are feeling TODAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment