Tuesday, April 23, 2013

The Elijah Project #7: The Broom Tree


I would like to redefine the BroomTree.  Elijah finds himself in the desert huddled under a BroomTree.  He finds himself exhausted, worn out and depressed.  He has yelled at God while running a days journey into the wilderness.  He asked God to take his life.  He said:  "I have had enough, Lord,"  he said "Take my life;  I am no better than my ancestors."  I Kings 19:3  God gave Elijah a resting place, a BroomTree.

Elijah's BroomTree was literal.  It was a juniper tree that provided shelter  and covereing for Elijah during his deepest place of need.  The BroomTree looks very different for me.  I don't huddle under a tree, ever!  But my thick down comforter is a BroomTree.  I cover up, blankets to my chin and feel the thickness, the weight of my bed clothes.  I also find solace when I pull out my journal and write down everything I am feeling.  I meet Jesus when I walk out on the bike trail behind my house.  When I feel the breeze on my face, see the sun hanging in the sky and watch the water move under the bridge.  Those are my BroomTrees.

I give you permission to redefine your BroomTree.  Sit for a moment and imagine your safe spaces.  Make a plan to visit your BroomTree today... even if it is just for 5 minutes!


No comments:

Post a Comment