Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Living the Elijah Project: What is your BroomTree?

What is your BroomTree saying?
Yesterday I celebrated my 41rst Birthday.  Admittedly I didn't spend much time thinking.  I had two Birthday gatherings - lunch and dinner.  I celebrated a lot.  But along with "Happy Birthday", I received one universal comment:  "You look tired!"  It was a funny comment since one of my Birthday gifts was to sleep in while my husband put the kids on the bus!

I guess what really bothered me about the universal sentiment:  "you look tired" is that I felt tired.  I felt tired both physically and emotionally.  I had a lot of fun during the day... but I kept thinking how can I make the whirlwind of my life stop.

I did a little accounting in my head.  I have 3 major responsibilities before I get to go on vacation with my husband next week.  Although there is a light at the end of the tunnel, I'm only half way through the tunnel.

So, after a great day of celebration, I crawled into bed with a new book:  Stress Relief for Life by Dr. Mike Ronsisvalle.   Dr. Mike calls what I was feeling chronic stress.  And he believes it has been present since the Fall in the Garden of Eden.  It is not Gods design or desire but chronic stress is part of our broken existence.  Those words were somehow validating.  He also asserts that with God we can have "peace that passes understanding."  Dr. Ronsisvalle's words gave empirical research to back up many of my hunches and theories.

Satan seeks to destroy peace.  God desires to give peace.  Elijah's BroomTree was a space of quiet, rest and rejuvenation.  Although Elijah was separated from people, he was united with God.  Today God urges me to carve out time at my BroomTree.  Satan will throw up all sorts of road blocks.  He will delight in my distractions  Those distractions will lead to disconnection from God and fear  of approaching Him.  But God waits... as steady as an Oak Tree.  He will wait for me to curl up and unload under His sturdy branches.

My BroomTree is saying:  Come and I will give you rest.  Come, I see your exhaustion!  Come, my yoke is easy and my burden is light!  Come!


No comments:

Post a Comment