Wednesday, March 20, 2013

The Elijah Project Extra: Owning My Story

This weekend I took a big risk.  I co-taught an art class with my friend Destiny Jackson.  I do not feel confident in my art creating ability.  I have not drawn with acrylic paint since second grade.  I painted with a brush and a plastic plate of paint this weekend. 

This is me with my painting at Altered Ego Art Studio, Eau Claire WI.  Wow!  Look at the freedom and joy on my face.

This weekend we did two different projects:
First we created a collage of being.  We cut pictures and words to create a picture that refelcts who we are.  Notice my eyes are "circles of love."  I really want to look at people through love.  And my mouth says:  "A smile is the shortest distance between two people." 
My daughter asked: "why the sandy foot toward the bottom of the picture?"  I had to think and ask myself: "Why the foot?"  I think I liked the sandy foot picture because it was fresh, adventurous and messy.  I feel like my life is like the salt water drenched foot dipped in sand.  And no matter how hard I shake my foot, I can't get the sand off. 
"There is no remedy for love but to love more."  Henry David Thoreau.

Finally, let me share my painting.  I decided to attempt to paint a broom tree... since afterall we are walking through Elijah's story and he found himslef alseep under a broom tree.  My tree is divided down the middle and drawn together with a heart.  This is kinda like my life.  Elijah calls out the people on Mount Carmel for "limping between two opinions."  I limp all the time.  When I am wrapped in the roots on the left of my picture - I find myself tangled up in pleasing, perfectionism and disconnection.  When I find myslef in that tangle my leaves look like a cage, a mirror with a horrified expression and a heavy weight on my back and shoulders.
On the other side (the right side of my tree)... when my roots are in God's word, living in His protection and provision my tree looks healthy.  My branches bear flowers, sparkles, birds tweeting truth and strength and my posture is open, with my heart enlarged and tipped toward God.

Faith is Courage!

When I truly trust God as my protector and provider... He fills me with courage to continue my journey of faith!

No comments:

Post a Comment