Friday, October 11, 2013

But..... How Do I Stay in the Moment?

With another season of Elijah Project classes wrapping up... I have been contemplating the question:  "How do I stay in the moment when there is so much to get done for the future?"  This is a great question.  This is a real question.  This is a conundrum for me, the type A, over-achiever.

While taking a walk this week and literally experienced the answer.  As I walked along the sidewalk yellow, red and orange leaves crunched under my feet.  I gasped a little as I was overwhelmed with the Season changing.  My mind quickly rushed ahead into the future,  thinking of no leaves, snow covered ground and cold.  I spent a minute in the future.  As I continued to walk I began to sweat.  I became so warm that I took off my fleece sweatshirt.  The sun on my cheeks made me think of the summer.  My thoughts fleeted to the past: sun bathing at the pool.  I spent a minute in the past.  Then I thought - Today is beautiful.  Today is warm.  Today the leaves still remain on the trees and hte sun still hangs in the sky.  This moment is a gift!

How easy it is to backwards or to go forwards.  God invites us to be with Him this moment and enjoy TODAY!

1 comment: